Most people wouldn’t dare to accuse footballers of being the sharpest knife in the drawer. Here are my top 15 quotes of German footballers and coaches to prove these people right.
15. “Shanghai has 22 million inhabitants. Europe doesn’t have many more either”, Bastian Schweinsteiger demonstrated his excellent knowledge about geography after landing in Shanghai with the German national team.
14. “I own 70% of the goal, and Wilmots owns 40% of it”, Schalke legend Ingo Anderbrügge demonstrates his skills as a hobby mathematician.
13. “Football is like chess. Just without the dice”, Lukas Podolski has his very own take on the game of football.
12. “I would like to go south for the holidays, Canada would be lovely”, Mehmet Scholl after the end of the season. Maybe Scholl had the same geography teacher as Schweinsteiger?
11. “Milan or Madrid, the only thing that it is important to me is that it is Italy”, Andreas Möller talking about a possible transfer.
10. Former Schalke coach Fritz Langner surprised some of his players by saying:”The five of you get here, and play four against three”.
9. “I played in all of this year’s 16 months.”, Franz Beckenbauer making the impossible possible.
8. “Rosenborg and Trondheim are both strong teams”, Carsten Jancker told a surprised reporter, after being asked about the game against the Norwegian side Rosenborg Trondheim.
7. “I would never start a career as referee after I am done playing football. I would like to do something that has something to do with football.” Lothar Matthäus about his prospects after his playing days are over.
6. “I don’t need a butler. I have a very young wife.” Thomas Doll saying a little too much about his views about the other sex.
5. “My wife and I have a father-son relationship.” Oliver Reck about his wife.
4. “I would like to say hi to my father, my mother, and especially my parents”. Toni Polster to a German football reporter.
3. “My manager is working day and night. He is a so called alcoholic.” Rüdi Völler explaining the good work ethics of his manager.
2. “I told him that. Verbally!” Mario Basler has mad language skills.
1. “The goal is in the middle of the park.” Franz Beckenbauer caught between metaphors.
Did I forget to mention any comments that should have been on the list? Any other thoughts or comments? Well, just leave a comment below.